Five Great Tips for Cleaning Carpets
Cleaning your home is a job that can be exhausting at times, but is very rewarding too. One task you’ll find that is particularly time consuming is keeping your carpets cleaned (especially if you have children or pets).
While a regular vacuuming accomplishes a lot, there are times when you need to go a little deeper and clean a little more.
These tips can help you clean your carpet and help it look its best!
- Use Your Tools – Your vacuum cleaner has a number of tools and attachments. If you are like many people, you seldom use these. However, they can help you get to the edges and clean up areas that you would otherwise miss.
- Freshen with Baking Soda – Baking soda is a great way to freshen a stale or stinky carpet. Sprinkle the floor with baking soda and let it sit for a few minutes before vacuuming it up. This will rid your home of stubborn carpet odors.
- Treat Spots Right Away – Treat spots and spills right away to keep a spill from turning into a stain. Follow the same guidelines you do for treating spills on clothing, and always test a cleaner in an inconspicuous area before applying it to the rest of the floor.
- Dry After Cleaning – If you use a steam cleaner or other form of wet carpet cleaning product, make sure you rid the floor of excess. If you let water sit, it can cause stinky mildew or even mold. Simply open all your windows and place fans around the room until the carpets are completely dry.
- Simple is Best – While there are many commercial carpet cleaning products, using simple products like vinegar and water or dish detergent can give you excellent results for very little cost. You can mix your own carpet cleaning fluid for your steam cleaner using a mixture of vinegar and hot water and a mixture of soap and water in a spray bottle to clean stubborn stains.
When your floors are clean, your whole house will feel fresher.
While you may be able to take care of some basic stains and dirtiness, there will come a time when you need to call in a carpet cleaning professional or upgrade to something new. Call or contact us at Trevino Flooring and let us help you find the perfect solution to all your flooring needs.